A strong passion for helping people has driven Dr. Sanghamitra Mohanty throughout her professional career. After graduating from a premiere medical school in India, she practiced family medicine in many rural and urban hospitals throughout the eastern part of the country. During her tenure as a family physician, Dr. Mohanty encountered many patients with 'incurable' heart diseases, where death due to acute heart failure was the only diagnostic symptom. This experience inspired her to perform hands-on cardiology research and she moved to the United States to fulfill her dream.
After post-graduate study at the University of North Texas Health Science Center in Fort Worth, Texas, Dr. Mohanty worked as a researcher at the University of Texas at Austin. At UT, she was directly involved in the development of novel tests to detect multiple cardiac biomarkers in serum and saliva for diagnosing and monitoring treatment in heart diseases. Her research works have been published in many peer-reviewed journals.
Dr. Mohanty serves as the Director of Translational Research at the Texas Cardiac Arrhythmia Institute, where her research focuses on therapeutics of cardiac arrhythmias. Currently, she is involved in several research projects to identify risk factors that influence long-term success of catheter ablation procedures performed on patients with atrial fibrillation.
Research and teaching experience
- Director, Translational Research, Texas Cardiac Arrhythmia Institute (current)
- Research Fellow, Texas Cardiac arrhythmia Institute, 2009-2015
- Research Associate: Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry at The University of Texas, Austin, TX (June, 2001- July, 2009)
- Lecturer, School of Biological Sciences, University of Texas, Austin (current)
- Professor, Adjunct, Austin Community College (current)
- SME (subject matter expert), Microbiology, Western Governor's university (current)
MD: S.C.B Medical College, Orissa, India
MS in Molecular Biology and Immunology: UNT Health Science Center, Fort Worth, TX
Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology
3000 N. IH-35
Austin, TX 78705
Phone: (512) 544-2342
8:00am - 4:30pm Monday-Friday